If you are a fan of eating pizza and love to make your pizza at home – then a pizza peel is essential equipment to bake pizza, right? Do you know how to use a pizza peel and what is the best peel for you?
Well, there are several types of woods you can use to make your peel. Some woods are disturbing as pizza get stuck on the wood and makes it difficult to transfer them in the oven.
Maple, mahogany, and cherry all work great to make a pizza peel. While mahogany has the deepest color – maple is the hardest smoothest wood.
As there are a lot of variations in woods, so, it will totally depend on your needs that which wood will be the best one for your job.
Can I make a pizza peel out of plywood?
Pizza peels or paddles come in a variety of shapes and sizes. And for pizza lovers who want to make their pizza on their own – a pizza peel or paddle is a must for baking.
And “YES” you can make the pizza peel with a piece of plywood in the fastest and easiest way.
How to make a wooden pizza peel?
You have seen a lot of beautiful wooden pizza peel in restaurants. There are lots of variations in sizes and shapes. These are also available in the market but making your own peel can be relatively simple to beautifully handcrafted.
You can start making your own pizza peel with whatever wood you like (Mahogany, hickory, plywood, etc.) as well as we have mentioned some of the above.
- Take piece of quality plywood. It’s best to go with a thickness of 3/8′′ or 1/2′′.
- Now cut the wood as you require. (My peel is about 14” x 14”, and overall length is 24”)
- With a drum disk in your sander, taper the top edge (either flap grind it, or sand it with a belt sander, anything you choose). To get rid of sharp edges, round the sides.
- Add a top and bottom to the handle with rounded wood strips that can be glued, bolted, or affixed with dowels for a beautiful touch.
- We’re done. Now please avoid temptation to stain your peel because with an unfinished surface, the heat and pizza ingredients work perfectly.
Is a wood peel better than a metal peel?
Both wood and metal peel have advantages and disadvantages. I recommend having both to get the most benefit. Unless you only need one peel, a perforated metal peel is your best pick because it’s the most versatile.
A wooden peel would be the best option to choose when you are placing the pizza into the oven. On a dusted wooden surface, pizza sticks less than a metal surface. But the thickness of the wooden peel makes it difficult to turn the pizza or take it out from the oven.
A metal peel is very much thinner and it is easier to slide a pizza or take it out from the oven with a metal peel. But you have to be careful with metal peel.
Is Bamboo good for a pizza peel?
A pizza peel made with bamboo is actually a nice cutting board.
The truth about bamboo peel is it’s not absorbent enough – as a result, pizza sticks to the bamboo. The dough tends to stick to the bamboo and you’ll experience difficulties while sliding the pizza.
The bamboo peel is also slanted at the edge and it’s heavy enough which makes it more difficult to use.
Leave a Reply